Let’s get this out of the way: nothing is inherently “good” or “bad” when it comes to your emotions and experiences. They simply are. The sooner you accept how you feel, the sooner you can remove the need to label or judge yourself for your experiences. No, anxiety is not bad. However, if left untreated it can have damaging effects on your mental health, happiness, and life.
SIGNS OF ANXIETY
If you are unsure as to whether or not you are experiencing anxiety, ask yourself if you have the following symptoms:
- Nervousness, restlessness, or tension in the body
- Elevated heart rate
- Difficulty concentrating
- Feeling fear or dread about the future
TYPES OF ANXIETY
There are many different kinds of anxiety a person may experience.
- SAD, Social Anxiety Disorder - a fear of social situations due to thoughts of being judged, humiliated, or low-self esteem.
- PTSD, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - after a traumatic event, symptoms can be delayed and last for years or a lifetime if left untreated.
- OCD, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - a need to perform rituals, do repeated checks, or count things.
- Phobias - fear of things, places, or experiences.
- Panic Disorder - anxiety gets so high it causes panic attacks to happen that can hospitalize a person.
HOW IT CAN AFFECT YOU
It is perfectly normal to experience a little bit of anxiety from time to time. However, you need to watch for when it becomes more severe or a daily experience. If it becomes too severe, you may find yourself risking losing your job, falling behind in school, or having relationships fall apart. Watch for the following signs.
- Headaches from constant stress and worry
- Depression is highly linked to those who suffer from anxiety
- Elevated heart rate, which can lead to breathing problems
- Upset stomach, nausea, loss of appetite
- Loss of libido
- Elevated blood pressure
- Social isolation
HOW TO TREAT IT
If you or someone you know is experiencing anxiety, it is important to reach out to a medical professional for proper assessment and treatment. Anxiety is common and highly treatable. You can lead a happy, calm, and healthy life without anxiety standing in the way. If you are not interested in speaking to a medical professional, begin by taking some natural supplements known to help alleviate anxiety. Practice meditation for mindfulness and take time for yourself each day to disconnect and relax. Anxiety is not bad, as long as you treat it and take care of yourself.